I bought a desk chair at a yard sale last summer for $10. It was nothing special to look at but it still had good cushion, wheels and it spins. I was using an old dining room chair but leaning to the side to reach the bling, ink and other things I need that are just out of reach of the chair was starting to make it pretty rickety. My mom sent me this link from Online Fabric Store and I decided to give it a try.
Things I should have known:
- The wind never stops here. It was very hard to find a calm day where I live. And since I needed multiple coats of paint it took several different days spaced far apart due to the wind. This project took nearly a month because of the wind and me not having time when the air was calm. While our garage should have been an option the wind blows directly into the garage and closing the door would have meant no ventilation. Note to self: Save a large cardboard box for future paining needs!! I could have used one to make the garage work.
- Bugs are drawn to the wet paint! Every coat had to have tiny bugs removed and then paint over the mess they left behind. The first coat had a lot of bugs because I left the parts in the yard on a piece of cardboard to dry since I planned to add another coat the same afternoon. After that coat I put them in the dirty garden shed and hoped for the best. Still had a bug or two but it was much better.
- My first color choice was not the right choice. It was too yellow for the fabric I picked. While it was a color in the fabric, it wasn’t in the print enough to make it work on the plastic parts of the chair in my opinion. This resulted in more coats of paint and a longer wait for calm days.
- I added a clear coat when done painting but I’m pretty sure I should have waited and added another layer. The chair is kept in a tight spot and will get bumped a lot which could result in paint being scratched off.
- Use the correct tool for the job. One of the screws was stripped and if I had had a wider flat head screwdriver taking it apart and putting it back together would have been easier.
Other things I learned:
- It took 3 people to get the seat and the plastic part of the seat put back together. It could be because of the heat causing the plastic to change shape in the shed or it could be that the wood base under the cushion changed due to the dry air conditioned air in the house. Or it could be that the two pieces are just weird shapes and needed the extra help. Either way, it took two people to hold the front and back of the seat and plastic (squeezing super hard) and another to screw in the 4 screws that holds it all together.
- As was said in the video (see above link) not all chairs are the same.Mine has a wood seat but the back of the chair has a plastic base that did not want to take a staple. My mom helped with the fabric portion and sewed a casing for a cotton cord so I could stretch and arrange the fabric. We opted for this option after taking the seat apart and seeing that the original manufacturer also used a casing. We still added a couple staples due to the odd shape but the fabric is evenly spaced due to gathering rather than stapling.
Something I actually remembered on my own:
- Use rubber gloves. Mine are now orange and sticky but my hands stayed clean.
- I remembered to plan the direction of the fabric so I am happy with the direction the flowers face. Yeah, me!
All in all, I’m pretty darn happy with my chair and it really brightens the room.
- Desk Chair – use an ugly one!
- Fabric – I used an outdoor fabric I found at JoAnn’s Fabrics & Crafts
- Rust-Oleaum – Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover Paint + Primer in Gloss Real Orange and Clear for plastic surfaces
- Cotton cord
- Rubber gloves
- Cardboard to lay the painted pieces on to dry
- Cardboard box to spray paint in – maybe next time